Boccara Gallery displays a selection of its Savonnerie rug collections in the Arkhangelskoye Palace (Moscow)
Didier Marien had the idea to show a selection of Savonnerie and Aubusson rugs in Arkhangelskoye Palace’s salons.
The Savonnerie rugs played an important role in the prestigious French furniture’s History. Louis XIII developed the Savonnerie manufactory by positioning the workshops along the banks of the Seine at the foot of the hill of Chaillot, in the buildings of a former soap factory –hence the name “Savonnerie”– that has since made carpet according to the knotted carpet technique. During the XVIIth century Colbert reorganized the Savonnerie by placing it, like at the Gobelins, under the artistic direction of Charles Le Brun. Therefore, it has known an extraordinary period of activity during which its production, exclusively reserved for the king, was used for creating diplomatic gifts or furnishing royal residences.
The Boccara Gallery has an important collection of French antique rugs from the XVIIIth to the XXth centuries. This prestigious collection was formed over the years by Didier Marien. It reflects a precious history and a lifestyle where refinement is combined with an unparalleled attention to details. All these rugs are in perfect condition and come mostly from private collections. The French Savonnerie and Aubusson rugs in bring a unique touch to decorations and reflect a taste that marked the eighteenth century.
Arkhangelskoye is a historical estate located around Moscow. Nowadays Arkhangelskoye is a state museum. The estate is built in a neoclassical style, with the prominent palace facing the Moscow river and a regular terraced park decorated with many antique statues. Other structures of note include a small palace named the Caprice, monuments to Catherine II of Russia and Alexander Pushkin, and an 18th-century the theater designed by famous Italian theater set designer Pietro Gonzaga (1751-1831). Arkhangelskoye’s oldest building is the church of Archangel Michael (1646). Among the other buildings are Saint Gates (1825–26), the uncompleted building known as ‘Colonnade’ (1909–1916), which was intended to be a Mausoleum for the elder son of the last Princess Yussupova and serves today as an exhibition hall. The estate is famous for its collection of fine art including paintings, sculptures, furnitures, and ceramics.
Didier Marien has created a real osmosis between the Savonnerie rugs belonging to the Boccara Gallery and the prestigious collections of the Arkhangelskoye Palace. This harmony gave the impression of having always existed.